Monday, July 9, 2012

Scallops


scallops

we had a rather indulgent weekend for my husband’s birthday. i had a lunch date with some relatives friday afternoon at redemption. then saturday evening my in laws took us to eat at tujaques. i always like to cook something that my husband likes for his birthday, so sunday evening i made scallops. i was scared to cook them, as i’ve heard they turn into rubber quickly. i took my time and proceeded calmly and they came out very well. the recipe i used was straight from my dad. it’s nothing too fancy, but it gets the job done and they were quite good, especially for my first attempt.

i bought frozen scallops from whole foods and just cooked the whole bag. i would really like to try fresh next time. they are just so darn expensive!

here’s the rundown of how i cooked them:

first, i thawed and washed them
i sprinkled them with only salt & pepper
in a pan, i melted a stick of butter, along with 1/4c garden green onions and 1tbs of garlic
i let all of those ingredients cook down for 5 minutes
i placed my scallops in the pan and cooked them for two minutes on each side.
i took them out of the pan and deglazed with 1/2c or 3/4c white wine
i let this cook down for a few minutes, then poured the sauce over the scallops

we enjoyed our scallops and a side salad. this dish was ridiculously easy and now my fear of cooking scallops is completely gone. the only thing i would do differently is cook them for 1.5 minutes per side instead of 2 minutes per side.

have you ever cooked scallops before? do you have any good recipes or ideas for cooking them? i’d love to hear!

scallops

 

1 comment:

  1. These look luscious! The recipe is already in my recipe app! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete